Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cerritos Regional trying out my fly rod

On a whim I happened by a wonderful place on Friday afternoon.  It was Bob Marriott's Fly Fishing Store in Fullerton. Ca.  My uncle is a major fly nut, but I myself had little to no interest...  Until I entered the store.  WOW, is the only word I could say.  Tons of people pouring over the many hand tied flies, other talking to the knowledgeable staff and that was only the front half of the store, the other half holds a large selection of fly rods and other assorted gear.

On my first visit I talked to Steve.  What a cool person to meet for a laymen like myself.  He walked me through some of major details that make fly fishing different from spin casting.  A high-level theory I would call it. After giving me some of the details of why tippet is used at the end of a leader a few simple pointers on casting and helping me pick out some flies, mainly for bass, bluegill and carp I was out the door with a nice outfit ready to hit up my back yard park lake, Cerritos Regional Park.

To say I kept my excitement in check as I booked it from the store to the lake would be a lie.  Once I got there with the help of Steve's teaching I was in the water and catching bluegill in less than thirty minutes.  Catching that fish was literally was the last step that threw me into a hopeless addiction.  From that point on its been pretty full-throttle.  I even stopped by tonight just before dusk and again was pulling those bluegill from the water


Hope the readers enjoy hearing about Southern California fly fishing because there is PLENTY more on the way.

Tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment